Tuesday, June 30, 2009

and all is right with the world

milk, no milk, milk, no milk

So as I stated in a couple of posts, Saturday was super milk infestation day (I think I will now forever refer to the consumption of milk by Boy as an "infestation") and Sunday we paid the price. Yesterday was a no milk day and we had a great day. This morning was a great morning also.

Could it really be that the elimination of milk products (casein specifically) produces such a dramatic affect in behavior?

From what I have read, here are the supposed reasons:
When you consume casein (in milk products), your body breaks it down into by products that some believe are leaked through the intestines and into the blood -- studies show that autistic children are more likely to have gastrointestinal issues including leakage. (We certainly have gastrointestinal issues with boy!) There have been studies done that show that these by products are more commonly found in the urine of autistic children versus non-autistic children. "Casein has been documented to break down to produce the peptide casomorphin, an opioid that appears to act primarily as a histamine releaser." -- wikipedia.

So basically - children consume milk, aren't able to break it down and rid their body of the casein by products...those by products may be leaked into their blood or it could just be the fact that it doesn't pass through their systems normally and behavioral issues arise. From what I have read, the opioid act like a drug in their systems.

I swear I have been extremely skeptic about all of this, but I've seen results. Could the changes between Saturday/Sunday be just a coincidence? I'm not sure. I will certainly test the theory again in a few weeks and introduce milk products again to see if we get the same results.

When checking ingredients for milk, look for these items: milk, milk protein, casein, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment