Monday, January 19, 2009

terminology to know

When my son was first diagnosed there was so much lingo that flew around between doctors, teachers, counselors that I was completely lost. I was constantly googling everything that I heard to try to learn as much as I could about what "everyone" was talking about. In addition to resources seemingly being available only to a special inside group (I know that is truly not the case, but from my end it seems like there is this elite group of individuals who have all of the answers and are secretly holding them in a vault with limited access) there is also an entire language that only this special group of people knows and understands.

With all of that said, it is amazing how easily you will start to throw about the lingo once you have learned in. In a previous post I mentioned that you will do it to feel as though you know and understand the spectrum...no matter how much I read or research, I don't think I will ever have enough understanding of any of this.

I thought I would put together a helpful list of terminology and its meaning for anyone to reference, so here it is. If anyone has anything to add, please let me know!

Happy Bloggin'!

Words to know to sound like you understand what the heck is going on:
Neurotypical: individuals not diagnosed with a disorder
Presents: displays, exhibits
on the spectrum: a diagnosis that falls within the autism spectrum
ASD: Autism Spectrum Disorder
OT: Occupational Therapist
IEP: Individualized Educational Program
SI: Sensory Integration

No comments:

Post a Comment