Tuesday, January 20, 2009

not a good start to the day

This morning we got to school and Boy realized he left his science homework at home. I should have triple checked everything like I normally do, but the long weekend really made me forget the routine. He was instantly upset, even though other kids had also forgotten. He is an extreme rule follower so forgetting homework really ends up making for a crappy day!

I like to think that the look in his eyes upon forgetting his homework will make me that much more diligent in making sure he does not forget again, but here is one of those "learn and live" situations that he can learn from. Just like any parent you want your children to learn by the mistakes they make - "oh you forgot your homework and it made you feel awful, then next time you will make sure you check before we leave".

The hardest part of all of this is picking and choosing the battle. There is nothing more valuable in life than these lessons that we learn to deal with as children, but I find that I sometimes shield him from these things because the lesson learned does not feel as important as the potential tantrum/meltdown it would cause.



No comments:

Post a Comment